I’m beginning to feel like the much younger brother of a sister who conspires with her friends to dress him up in tutu’s or fairy outfits. There are now 123 ‘Like Minded’ individuals following my blog, and only ten of them are male. The same thing holds true in the general writer’s community, roughly 90% female and 10% male. Do you think that bothers me? Maybe a little. But I’m resolute in my goal and whatever that means. So pile on your pink flowers, dainty aprons, fluffy kittens, or even those tiny baby booties. I can take it. You’ll never see me squirm. Ever!
Kristi at Random Daily Thoughts and Jade of Chasing Empty Pavements are the culprits this time, and their recognition for me is the infamous Sugar Doll Award.
The fine-print for this one says I have to list ten things about myself. Kristi cheated and only listed five, but I’m gonna MAN UP and go for the entire ten. Drum roll please.
1. I grew up a military brat, moving around every couple of years from station to station. That sort of upbringing might appeal to some children, getting to see the country and re-inventing themselves with every move, but for me…the introvert…I hated it. The only bright spot was I was able to spend all four years of high school in one spot (North Carolina).
2. I do fifty push-ups/fifty sit-ups every work morning, and go to the health club three days a week. I’ve never smoked or dipped, and only drink alcohol on special occasions. I’m not a heath freak or anything; I just have this irrational fear of DEATH.
3. Since high school my nickname has been Bone. Before the snide comments commence, its origination hails from an obtuse derivation of my last name (Hammons > Hambone > Bone). While I was attending LSU I found this large bone in an open field, so I brought it home and placed it on top of my stereo because it seemed to fit. My son has since inherited both the nickname, and the bone.
4. While attending LSU, I switched my major five times. Journalism, Pre-Vet, Forestry, Marketing, and General Business. I finally decided that every field of special interest had some sort of business angle. I was right.
5. For most of my adult life I’ve looked 20 years younger than I actually am. I was carded entering bars well into my thirties. Even today jaws drop when I tell people I have two kids in college.
6. I’ve never read any book more than once, but I’ll watch my favorite movies multiple times. Go figure.
7. Since I graduated from college (29 years ago), I’ve only worked for three different companies, and one of those for less than a year.
8. I seriously hate bullies! The only altercations I got into growing up were when I put myself between a bully and his prey. I have been known to pull my car over and intercede if I see a group of boys picking on a kid. But it’s the female bullies that are the hardest to combat because of their weapon of choice…EXCLUSION.
9. I carry around a digital pocket recorder I received as a gift from Christmas. I use it to record ideas for my manuscript that pop into my head during the course of the day. One day it accidentally got turned on and I didn’t realize it until a beeping alerted me its batteries were running low. Unfortunately, that was also a day I was unusually flatulent.
10. I have six close friends. One is my wife, three are my children, one resides in Atlanta, and the other in New Mexico. When the wife and I are spatting, the world can be a really lonely place.
And here’s a bonus one, just because.
11. You’ve heard of Type A and B personalities? I’m a C. I will go out of my way to avoid a confrontation, or the possibility of one. Seriously. I won’t even return things back to the store if there’s something wrong with them, I get my wife to do it. I do my best to stay out of the limelight and fly under the radar. But…if you harm, threaten, or even rebuke one of my family or friends, I will see to it that YOU NEVER FORGET MY NAME.