R is for Rules & Regs
Thank you for all the kind comments yesterday and the well-wishes for my wife. So far her reaction to the first chemo treatment has been on the mild side and we’re hoping things continue along that path.
I’m a military brat, a squid to be exact – the son of a naval officer. Although there was a lot of things I disliked about the military life (constant moving!), the one thing I embraced was the discipline. More specifically, I liked how there was always a manual somewhere to show you how things are expected to operate and the proper procedures. Since several of my blogging companions have discussed their own procedures for handling blog comments and reading other peoples blogs (during any month other than April), I thought I’d provide my own rules & regs on the subject.
Let me first begin by stating that everyone needs to develop their own methodology for how to manage this stuff. I do what works for me, what satisfies my own sense of fairness and time constraints, but it may not be the way that you feel comfortable with. I’m not pushing my way, I’m just letting you know how things work around here. :)
I very rarely return back to a blog I left a comment at to see if the blogger responded to my remarks, so when I answer my own comments I prefer to do it via email directly back to you. I also really enjoy the inter-connectivity that email correspondence sometimes creates. However, that works for about 75% of the time, the other 25% do not have their email address listed in their profile so I am unable to respond back to them. I could answer those few by leaving my own comment, but then I’m into using two systems and eating up more time. So I’m sorry to those of you who choose not to include an email address in your profile, I am reading your comments, but I can’t let you know that.
How do I choose which blogs to visit and when do I leave a comment? One common practice in the blogosphere is the tit for tat approach, where if you stop by a blog and comment, the owner will automatically do the same for you. I use a variation of that style. If you stop by my blog consistently (more than once or twice…or just when I’m running a contest), then I’ll add your blog to the favorites category in my RSS reader and I’ll stop by whenever you have a new post. That doesn’t mean I’ll comment every time I come by though. I still believe that comments need to be earned, so if you decide to post your favorite recipe for chili…you’ll probably not be hearing from me that day.
Those are the rules and regs I’ve developed over the years. What about you? Have any interesting guidelines that you follow?
Did you know I was holding a contest during the A-Z Challenge? You can read all about it HERE.