Hey DL, it's great to be here today, thanks for inviting me over!
Shadows of Autumn is the story of a missing child. When a body is discovered, her mother has to wait before she knows if it's her daughter or not.
This is one of my favourite stories and I'm proud of it for two reasons:
- I was only twenty when I wrote it, a long way from having children of my own, and certainly even further from having to deal with teenagers. But the voice of the mother was so clear to me. I could feel her anguish and pain; I could understand her point of view when actually I was much closer to her daughter's age.
- I received some of the best comments for this story:
- QWF: Your handling of prose is deft and light: simple words but extremely effective.
- Story Cellar: Some telling description in what you did not say, superb sense of mood and atmosphere.
- Real Writers: Well focused, unusual because I want to know the story behind the husband. There is a lot going on beneath this seemingly simple story.
|Note the progression of the title!|
This was another story that needed a slight rewrite for the collection - I had to include Facebook. Nikki is a teenage girl, and has teenage friends - as soon as I read it, the omission was glaring. It's not important to the story, but it would definitely have jarred the reader a little bit, or greatly dated the story... I really need to write some new ones!
I live in Cornwall, with a good supply of beaches and moorland right on my doorstep. I live with my husband, two boys, a dog and a cat. Despite my location. I neither surf nor sail, and have never had any inclination to try. I much prefer walking along the beach and listening to the waves crashing over rocks. For this reason, I really love the beach in the winter!
Buy That Sadie Thing here (this link should take you direct to your local Amazon)
Follow Annalisa here, or Like her here
Read her blog here