I find that insecurity commonly raises its ugly head during times of strife and instability. When life is making me feel like a tiny plastic piece in one of those vibrating electric football games, I focus on the basics in order to ground myself again. And part of those basics are the guiding principles (I call them Golden Rules) that over the years I’ve built my life around. They're nothing special, in fact most of them you've might have seen scribbled inside a public bathroom stall at some point, but they all mean something to me. We all have them (in some form), but maybe you don’t have them written down like I do. When I looked at them again the other day I realized that quite a few of them could pertain to a writer’s world, so I am offering them to you as part of my IWSG post (brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh) today.
DL’s Twenty-Five Golden Rules
1. Even though I’m not religious, this still applies. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
2. Work before play, but a good break every now and then never hurts.
3. When you receive criticism, always consider the source. The same is true for praise.
4. Sometimes it’s easier to just agree to disagree.
5. Where there’s a will, there’s a way…but there’s also a cost.
6. Respect your elders, until they give you a reason to do otherwise.
7. If you’re paid a day’s wages, then work an honest day’s work. Sick time is for when you’re SICK.
8. Guys don’t hit girls. Period.
9. Too good to be true, usually is.
10. People who believe in Santa Clause receive more presents than people who don’t.
11. In for a penny, in for a pound. There's no such thing as a part-time friend.
12. SELFISH is not a four letter word. It’s OK to think of yourself first sometimes.
13. If you’re going to do something, do it right the first time.
14. Never say never.
15. Relationships are HARD work! For better or worse isn’t just a catch phrase.
16. Pick your battles, then fight to the death.
17. If you can’t look at yourself in the mirror, then how do you think other people see you?
18. Making love and having sex is not the same thing.
19. Shit happens. Why spend so much time looking for someone to blame?
20. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Don’t try to push them on somebody else.
21. Pretentious people give the phrase “keep things simple” a bad rap.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Silence is a response not used often enough.
24. The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
25. What goes around, comes around. Just make sure you're not bending over when it does.
And here's a bonus rule:
26. I'm responsible for my own smiles...but I'm willing to share! :)
What about you? What are some of your golden rules?