Let’s talk about traffic. No, I’m not talking about a jam up on Interstate 45 or how many red lights you have to sit through to get past a particular intersection. What I’m referring to is how many folks pay a visit to your blog on a daily basis. I think can share a few insights that I’ve gleamed from my years of blogging and surfing the internet that will help your site meter begin clicking faster. But I’m not talking about high-brow methods such as posting quality content like interviews with published authors or the occasional contests to give-away ARC’s. No sir…I’m talking about those low-rent techniques you’re more likely to find being used by web-sites your security filter would scream about. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out, just observant, and willing to lower your standards a bit.
As you will soon see, one of the most important elements in getting web-browsers pointed in your direction is the title of your post, or web-link. As every self-respecting salesman has been taught, “Getting them in the door is half the battle.” So, without further ado…here are my six simple tips:
1. The most popular trick is structuring your blog post in the form of a numbered list. If you look around the most popular browser home-pages such as YAHOO, DIGG, or GOOGLE NEWS, you’ll see multiple examples of what I’m talking about. This is a sampling just today of the real articles seeking attention on my own startup page.
Nine Most Badass (And Possibly Insane) Sports Of All-Time
Five Dance-Pop Remakes So Bad You’ll Puke
Ten Disappointing NFL Teams
Five Scary Cancer Questions
Eight Reasons you should watch Agent Carter tonight
Five Things We Want to Know about MC Hammer’s Jaz-Z Diss Video
The 25 Hottest Women Born in January
Five Reasons Why Bert & Ernie Should Come Out of the Closet
2. Whenever possible, use the word GUARANTEED in your title. Let’s face it, most people are gullible and will fall for that gimmick every time, certainly enough to get them through the door and reading the first paragraph of your blog.
3. Technically, this could be considered 2B because it also involves the title. Find a way to work the word SEX into your title. Do I really have to explain that one?
4. Change your domain name so it includes key wording used in the most frequent Google searches. For example: http://dlhammons.dallascowboycheerleaders.com.
5. Decorations never hurt!
6. Finally, it doesn’t matter what you do to get the traffic flowing in your direction because unless you entertain them once they arrive, they won’t be back. So you’d better make sure you elicit one of four things from your visitors while they are here…a nod of the head, a chuckle, a sigh, or a tear. The internet is vast and counter-oriented to our attention spans, so here…more than anywhere…make every word count!
I hope everybody understands that my tongue is firmly planted in cheek, and I would never actually utilize any of these techniques. I do have some measure of self-respect, after all! *wink*
The only sure way to guarantee a steady flow of visitors to your own blog is to read other blogs…often and repeatedly…and leave comments. That’s the reason I’ve only generated 10-12 comments per blog post recently – because I haven’t been around as much as I should. But now that you know ALL of the secrets, I expect you’ll be seeing plenty movement.
Good luck! :)